Statutory issues concerning the election/appointment of
- the IEC Treasurer
- the Chair of the Conformity Assessment Board (CAB) and IEC Vice-President
- five Members of the Council Board (CB)
- three Members of the Standardization Management Board (SMB)
- seven Members of the CAB
Other principal items on the agenda
- The General Secretary’s report (see also Digitization: direct impact on standardization in this issue)
- The President’s address (see also Successful leaders adapt in fast changing world in this issue)
- Financial matters
- Reports from the Council Board, including reports from the IEC Vice-Presidents on CAB, Market Strategy Board (MSB) and SMB activities (see separate e-tech articles on CAB, SMB and MSB)
- Forthcoming General Meetings (GMs)
Council elected Jo Cops from Belgium as IEC Treasurer for a three-year term of office (2018-2020).
Chair of the CAB and IEC Vice-President
Council elected Shawn Paulsen from Canada as Chair of the CAB and IEC Vice-President for a three-year term of office (2018-2020).
Council elected/re-elected five CB members for a three-year term of office (2018-2020):
- Mr Aleksey Abramov (Russian Federation)
- Dr Sadhvir Bissoon (South Africa)
- Mr Odón Demófilo de Buen Rodríguez (Mexico)
- Dr Byung Goo Kang (Korea, Republic of)
- Mr Tore Tomter (Norway)
Standardization Management Board
Council elected/re-elected three members of the SMB for a three-year term of office (2018-2020):
- Mr Vimal Mahendru (India)
- Dr Jin-Kyu Han (Korea, Republic of)
- Mr Óscar Querol (Spain)
Conformity Assessment Board
Council appointed/re-appointed two Automatically Appointed Members of the CAB for a three-year term of office (2018-2020).
- Mr Jörg Hartge (Germany)
- Mr Masayuki Hirata (Japan)
- Mr Marty Cole (Canada)
- Mr M. Faudzi Mohd Yasir (Malaysia)
- Mr Albert Nagtegaal (Netherlands, The)
- Mr Trond Sollie (Norway)
- Mr Nickolay Fayzrakhmanov (Russian Federation)
as members of the CAB for a three-year term of office (2018-2020).
Dr Åke Danemar, IEC Treasurer, reported on the financial situation of the IEC.
Council approved the 2018 budget and the distribution of national dues for 2018.
Future General Meetings
82nd General Meeting
Busan, Republic of Korea, from 22 to 26 October 2018.
83rd General Meeting
Shanghai, China, from 21 to 25 October 2019.
84th General Meeting
Council formally accepted the invitation of the Swedish National Committee (NC) to host the 84th General Meeting in Stockholm from 5 to 9 October 2020.
Although Council can only officially accept invitations from National Committees up to three years in advance, many Members have already declared their intention to invite the IEC to host a future IEC GM:
85th General Meeting
The United Arab Emirates National Committee has stated its intention to invite the IEC for the 2021 GM in Dubai.
The National Committees of the United States and Egypt have stated their intention to host the GM in the years 2022 and 2023 respectively.
In conclusion, Council expressed its warm appreciation to all members of the Organizing Committee and the IEC National Committee of the Russian Federation for their excellent organization of the 81st IEC General Meeting and for the generous hospitality extended to IEC delegates in Vladivostok.